Does the mere thought of a new Google update send shivers down your spine? Although Google algorithm updates are designed to make the world of online search a better place, it can sometimes feel like a personal attack on your business, especially if your website is penalized as a result.
Fortunately, “forewarned is forearmed,” and the below blog will tell you everything you need to know about Google updates in 2023 so that you can make any changes to your site and avoid a drop in rankings.
What is the March 2023 Core Update?
The March 2023 Core Update is a classic broad core update from Google that is not specific to any region, language, or website category. As with all core updates, this may result in your webpages achieving higher rankings, or it could have the opposite effect. This is the first broad core update of 2023, with the last core update rolled out in September 2022.
Previously, Google core updates have looked at factors such as search intent and relevancy, and it is unlikely that this update will be any different. Although your first instinct may be to act fast before it’s too late, it is a much better idea to wait until the update is fully rolled out before you make any decisions or changes.
What should I do if my website is hit by a Google Core Update?
While there aren’t any specific actions that you should take, Google has supplied websites with a list of questions to ask if they have been negatively affected by a core update. These are as follows:
- Does your content provide original information, reporting, research, or analysis?
- Does your content provide a substantial, complete, or comprehensive description of the topic?
- Does your content provide insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond the obvious?
- If your content draws from other sources, does it avoid simply copying or rewriting those sources and instead provide substantial additional value and originality?
- Does the headline and/or page title provide a descriptive, helpful summary of your content?
- Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
- Would you expect to see your content in or referenced by a printed magazine, encyclopedia, or book?
How an SEO agency can help with Google Updates
If you are worried about any upcoming Google algorithm updates and you don’t want to see all your hard-earned website traffic disappear overnight, then you may want to think about enlisting the services of an SEO agency.
Equipped with all the knowledge and skills needed to navigate Google core updates and minimize the impact on your business, SEO experts can help to make sure your business is not negatively affected by an algorithm update.
Here at Big Fish Local, we know all the latest SEO tricks and techniques that promise to put your website firmly on the right side of any upcoming Google Updates. Get in touch with our friendly team here today for more information.